Monday, August 23, 2010

New Credit Pow Wow

Sunday afternoon we went with friends to the 24th annual Mississaugas of the New Credit Pow Wow. After a few tense moments in the rain when we wondered why we had come as there was little shelter, I began to relax and look around me. We were standing just under the edge of a big tent and everyone seemed to be looking at us. Were we the only non-native peoples there? Maybe we weren't welcome. Then I realized that the tall, lean man in front of me with the long grey hair was speaking into a microphone. His was the voice leading the proceedings. Of course everyone was looking at him.


We stood for an hour or more watching the dancers and the drummers. I heard a sameness in the drumming and the chanting after a while--as the song was ending the drums became loud--the men and boys were really pounding--and then suddenly all would cease except the leader who drummed a few more notes and abruptly stopped. I wish I had known what it all meant but I really enjoyed seeing these people put their hearts into their performances. One little girl sat on her father's lap as he drummed and at the loud ending part she squeezed her eyes shut and covered her ears. So cute.

Another little girl found her fun in the rain puddles left in the grass. Her mother just let her play and soon the wee one's dress was completely wet.





Circled around the main performance tent were many booths with traditional and not so traditional wares for sale. I bought a wee native doll in a beaded deerskin dress for my own wee granddaughter.


A number of the dancers had feathers on their heads but also this lovely array down their backs. In the centre of one of them I saw a wolf and thought it probably signified the wolf clan but I don't know.

The natives wore a wide mixture of costumes, some completely native dress and others with bits and pieces over their normal wear.

Here is one of the groups drumming on a central drum while some of their women seemed to stand behind and keep time. Notice the huge feather headdress hung up behind.

The central young man here was very impressive. He was totally engaged in the performance, his costume making me think of his forefathers a few hundred years ago.

Here is the same young man after the drumming. He and this woman were posing for a photographer. I loved the contrast between his outfit and hers.

More costumes inside the tent as people danced around the circle, keeping their heritage alive.

This face-painted fellow was engaging but I found it hard to get a good picture of him.

Finally the dancing stopped and I zoomed in.


Visiting this powwow was a revelation for my husband and me. We picked up their literature on the way out and read it last night. The Mississaugas of the New Credit have land claims all around Ontario, notably in the city of Toronto. Their literature suggests those who signed the treaties for them did not understand they were giving away the land as that was a concept alien to them. To the natives land is just there and no one really owns it; hence, you can't sell it or give it away. An interesting viewpoint and I sympathize but don't know what could fairly be done now. Anyhow, the Mississaugas were very welcoming and we enjoyed visiting their powwow to learn more about them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting, Elaine. Knoiwing you, i am surprised you did not have your notebook out in order to record the significance of the various feather combinations and headdresses.
Thanks for posting.